2020 in Review
Man Proposes, but God Disposes
Woody Allen has been credited with saying, “If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.” An old Yiddish proverb, possibly the inspiration for Allen’s comment, is even more direct. “We plan, God laughs.”
What an apt summary of 2020! At the start of 2020, we all had plans for the year. Little did we know that the words Coronavirus, COVID-19, and pandemic would change our plans and interrupt many of our programs.
For GLO Ministries these COVID-19 changes and interruptions meant cancelling all of our End of Year Events, postponing our overseas encouragement visits, pausing local church partnerships such as And God Said and Sunday Night Lights, and halting Encounter Short Term Mission Trips, which we conduct in partnership with AMT.
Despite the substantial interruptions, however, as we look back on 2020 we believe that God providentially used the disruptions to provide GLO Ministries with the extra time that was necessary to make some strategic breakthroughs. Breakthroughs such as:
• formulating a detailed Vision and Mission document plus a strategic plan that will guide GLO Ministries for the next 5-10 years.
• drafting a new Company Constitution that will bring the GLO Articles of Memorandum into line with ACNC standards.
• designing systems and processes to bring GLO Ministries into compliance with the External Conduct Standards that were recently introduced by the Australian government.
• undertaking a Full Feasibility Study to sub-divide 2,000 m2 of vacant land on the GLO Riverstone site into 4 blocks, erecting two residential homes plus two Group Homes to provide accommodation for extra team members and students in 2022.
• designing and seeking approval to remodel the Riverstone Training Centre to incorporate extra classrooms, offices, and community spaces.
In addition to these breakthroughs, and despite the interruptions from COVID-19, with God’s help last year GLO Ministries was still able to carry out the following activities:
• The CrossTalk team delivered a full-time ESL course to 4 students from South Korea.
• The CrossConnect team delivered a full-time discipleship and ministry training program to 9 students from 2 countries (Australia and South Korea).
• A GLO / AMT Calendar, plus one edition of Spearhead, were published and distributed.
• Approximately 2,600 copies of GLO Prayer News were posted to prayer supporters each month.
• Two GLO Prayer & Share Zoom meetings were hosted.
• Gifts were distributed to workers and projects in Australia, India, Indonesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Romania, plus a closed access country.
In short, the best way to sum up the activities of GLO Ministries in 2020 is found in Proverbs 16:9 where King Solomon states, “The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.” Despite a change of plans due to a worldwide pandemic last year God continued to faithfully direct GLO Ministries to join Him and His people on the grand mission of multiplying disciple-makers and disciple-making churches in Australia, South East Asia, East Asia, Central Asia plus parts of Europe.